"We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong." - Laura Stavoe Harm

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Continuous Support in Labour

I think if you're reading this blog, you probably have a fair idea of the benefits of continuous support in labour. Nevertheless, I'm posting a link to this study because I found it fascinating. I think what really intrigues me about it is this:

"Effects were strongest when the caregiver was neither a member of the hospital staff nor a person in the woman’s social network, and was present solely to provide one-to-one supportive care, such as a doula."

I wonder then, does that mean I shouldn't be a doula for my friends? What is it that made the subjects of this study do better when the person was not part of their social network? Perhaps we should just interpret that to mean that an untrained friend is not of as much benefit as a trained doula?

Regardless of how we interpret that part, I think the results are clear and consistent with other studies. Having a doula, in general, has a dramatic impact on birth outcomes. I hope that one day it'll be a reality in this country that every woman who wants a doula, has one!

No comments:

Post a Comment