Here are the contents of my doula bag, packed today, for the home birth I'm on call for. Every doula is different, some don't take anything to birth, but I like to have these things with me in case I need them. I inevitably need something from the bag, sometimes lots of it!
So here's what we have:
- A beautiful notebook - it makes me smile just to look at it! It has a magnetic closure to make sure that pages don't get crumpled. I use it to take notes during meetings with clients as well as to jot down important things during the birth.
- Medicine - strictly for me, but there's nothing worse than having a banging headache from lack of sleep and nothing to take for it. So I have ibuprofen and generic cold medicine as well, in case I'm feeling a bit sniffly.
- The Labor Progress Handbook - a fantastic reference book, which gives some great ideas for what to do if labour is not progressing as it should.
- Hair ties - for me, if I'm going to be leaning over the pool or something, it's great to be able to tie my hair up. Also a large hair band that goes around the head in case the mum wants her hair back from her face.
- Eye Mask - this can be such a great help if the room is brighter than the Mum would like. A feeling of seclusion and darkness can help restore calm.
- Massage Oil - this is an invigorating completely natural massage oil, with an almond oil base. I love the smell, but it's not for everyone, so I also have...
- Cocoa Butter Bar - very mildly scented massage bar.
- Moisturiser - just a small tub of lotion for me to use on my hands if need be. I also normally have alcohol gel - mainly in case I have a cold or something.
- Candles - just unscented tea lights to set the mood at home births, if that's what the parents wish.
- Toiletry bag - basic toiletries for me, like a toothbrush, as well as a clean pair of underwear and socks.
I'm considering adding a pair of flip flops, I also need to buy some more hand sanitiser and another tennis ball - my last one has mysteriously disappeared! (No doubt into a child's toy box!) A tennis ball in a sock is great for lower back massage, and much easier on the hands of the massager.
What are your Doula bag must-haves? Did your Doula bring anything to your birth that you loved?